It's safe to say that we're ALL in need of a gooood adventure right about now. These days getting out of the house feels more challenging than ever. Winter hibernation is starting to get to all of us and we have a feeling you're in need of a COVID safe weekend adventure! We’ve rounded up all the deets and everything you need for a fun weekend adventure or day trip to one of CT’s Ski Areas!
Ski areas across the state have been working hard to make adjustments and implement safety protocols to bring customers an unforgettable ‘COVID Safe’ skiing experience, without eliminating ANY of the things we love about a good ski day (because... what’s a day on the slopes without a little apres ski?!).
CT SKI MOUNTAINS WE LOVE--
Powder Ridge Mountain Park & Resort: Middlefield, CT
Powder Ridge is the go to ski spot for all things winter FUN! If you don't know how to Ski but still want a fun adventure, head to Powder Ridge for Tubing and Snow BIKING. After hitting the slopes, you can relax in their day rooms, slope side gazebos or firepits near the beer garden! Last year, Powder Ridge added a heated Beer Garden with brick oven pizza, cast iron dishes and of course, a bar to pick up drinks to bring to your table (Long live the après ski)! In addition to the beer garden, they have several outdoor food and drink options and plenty of room for visitors to enjoy their meals outside. We also love that Powder Ridge offers Snow Tubing and other activities…They offer reservations, parties, and neon lights and music at night! In fact, this year they expanded their tubing to allow for a more socially distanced experience!
*Pro Tip: Make a reservation in advance for the day rooms, slope side gazebos or firepits!
Mohawk Mountain Ski Area: Cornwall, CT
Mohawk is the oldest and largest ski area in Connecticut and has a great variety of terrain for all ages. We love that Mohawk offers snow tubing as well as skiing and snowboarding! Enjoy night skiing and dinner at the Main Lodge. They also have The Triple, which has a coffee bar and brownie waffles (mouth watering)!
** THIS Sunday (Jan 23rd) YETI DAY is returning to Mohawk Mountain-- This family friendly fun fest includes: live snow castle building, live music by Ian Campbell (Owner of Black Bear Music festival), Face Painting by Jessica, Ice Paintings and MORE!
Ski Sundown: New Hartford, CT
We love that Ski Sundown offers both day and night skiing until 9pm— seven days a week! With Sixteen trails (15 lit for night skiing) and 5 lifts Sundown provides varied terrain choices for skiers and snowboarders of all abilities. At ski sundown, you can rent ski & snowboard gear on site, and they offer many lessons & program options for kids, teens & adults. Ski Sundown offers many services in their base facilities area. These include the Lodge & Banquet Center, Welcome Center (or Guest Services), Rental, Tuning & Repair Shop, Snowsports School, Ski Shop, Food Courts, The Last Chair bar and Ski Patrol.
Mount Southington: Plantsville, CT
Mt Southington has done a fantastic job pivoting this season! It's the perfect place to ski day AND night! During the day, you can enjoy all of the trails right now, eat some delicious Waffle Haus, and watch different challenges or events (see there events page on the website)! After skiing, you'll want to check out their outdoor heated pub areas. There is also night skiing available - perfect for families, date nights, or a new adventure!
What are Connecticut ski areas doing to create a COVID Safe environment on the mountain?
- Encouraging visitors to purchase lift tickets in advance. All of the below CT Ski Areas have an easy to use online system that you can use to reserve space at the mountain before arriving to ski. Reserving online is easy, and can be done in just a few minutes.
- Adding additional options for outdoor food and beverages. Because, it's not a day on the slopes with out a greasy lunch and an after hours cocktail! CT ski resorts have added many options for you to enjoy lunch of Apres Ski… outside!
- Spacing out lift lines: Redesigned chairlift lines to allow for social distancing while waiting in the lift line. This includes a mix of empty lanes as well as expanding the length of ‘line mazes’.
- Limiting chair lift capacity: You will only ride lifts with members of your direct group. ‘Arrive Together. Ride Together’
- Reducing daily capacity of the resorts: Resort capacity is limited (so remember to book in advance!)
- Face masks mandatory: Face coverings are required equipment at ski resorts this year.